Cook Group Ltd
Condensation Control Building Preservation Flood Remediation Structural Waterproofing

Frequently Asked Questions

You're a damproofing company, you'll just try and sell me a dampcourse!

Nothing could be further from the truth! If you have a problem with rising damp we'll tell you. If you DON'T have a problem with rising damp we'll tell you that too! We have solutions to almost every type of 'damp' problem you can encounter in a property, even if it's just honest advice!

I noticed that you have changed your name from Cook (Damp & Decay) Ltd to Cook Group Ltd, Is this a scam like so many other preservation companies have allegedly done to avoid claims on guarantees?

Absolutely NOT, our change of name is exactly that, a name change to reflect the increase in services we now offer! Our company registration number and VAT registration number remain the same.
Use the contact us page and we'll send you a copy of our change of name certificate from companies house if you like, or check it out at companies house

Will my damproof course have been damaged by all the recent flooding in June 2007?

It is very unlikely that the original damproof course will have been affected by flooding even if it has been underwater for a few days, A damproof course is designed to be waterproof!

A chemically injected damproof course that has been installed within a few weeks of a flooding incident will more than likely need to be replaced, as it may not have fully cured

A chemically injected damproof course that has been installed for over 6 months to a year should be unaffected, though it is possible that silt and other debris can build up in the mortar joints and cause problems.

Replastering to walls after flooding is necessary, the extent of this depends on how badly the flooding was. The replastering to walls previously treated for Rising damp must be to the same specification as was used to treat the rising damp.

Unsurprisingly this is not an exact science and each property can have different problems, if you have any concerns, questions or need some advice just give us a call on 01482 343251


I'm buying a house and I've already paid for a survey, why should I pay you for another one?

In the first instance you will probably have already paid out good money for a valuation survey or even a homebuyers type report. What usually happens is that they will have found something such as suspected Rising Damp or Beetle Infestation / Rot that they think needs further attention from a specialist surveyor. We then need to survey the property to identify the type of Dampness / Infestation / Rot and specify a solution to solve the problem. This could be preservation treatments or simply reassurance from an expert that there are no problems to worry about!

I'm buying a house and I can get a FREE survey from somebody else

Nothing in life is free !, some companies have been known to go out and quote for works that arn't necessary to warrant their time carrying out your free survey

How much does it cost to 'damproof a house'?

A question that we get on a regular basis. Quite simply it's a question that's impossible to answer over the phone. there are so many things that can affect the price like is plastering necessary?, what type of dampness is it?, are there floor coverings?, are there skirtings fitted?, are there radiators, electrical sockets or kitchen units?. The list goes on! The easiest thing to do is to give us a call on 01482 343251 and arrange for one of our surveyors to call round

I've been told having Damproofing or Timber Treatment works carried out will make the house uninhabitable for days?

Not the case at all! The treatments we use now are virtually odour free. The most you will usually need to do is keep away from the area being treated for a couple of hours

I've been told i've got wet rot in my floors, can it be spray treated?

In a word NO! If your floor is affected by wet rot, the only course of action is to replace it with new timber.

Do I need to have my plaster taken off and replastered when I have a dampcourse installed?

In a word YES, occasionally replastering isn't needed or can be postponed till a later date

I want to overskim my walls after the damproofing works have been carried out

It may be easier for us to overskim the walls we treat at the time we carry out the replastering. Otherwise you should leave overskimming treated walls for a minimum of 6 months to 1 year, it could even be upto 2 years. This is decided by how wet the wall was before we treat it, how thick the wall is, how quickly the wall dries out etc. Unfortunately it's not an exact science.

What is BS: 6576 - 2005?

BS: 6576 - 2005 is the Code of practice for the diagnosis of rising damp in walls of buildings and installation of chemical damp-proof courses published by the British Standards Institution. This is the standard we work to.

I'm a competitor (at least I like to think I am) and I'm so mind meltingly shallow I want to steal your content and use it for my own site, Is that ok?

Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery and we thank you for conceding the fact that you are inferior. However unsurprisingly NO IT IS NOT acceptable to steal our content! Everything on this website and our sister sites is based on OUR work and OUR skills, subsequently unless stated otherwise all of our text and content are under copyright - This is further defined by the following statement you will find on every page- © Copyright Cook Group Ltd. We will actively pursue ANYONE we have found using our content.


© Copyright Cook Group Ltd


Home Page    Member Area    Bookmark Page    Email a Friend    Search    A to Z   

Site Map    Terms    Privacy    Feedback Form